I just did another Modkid Sew Along for the newly released London Dress PDF Pattern. I love the way the Modkid PDF patterns are assembled once printed. They really are easy and the gray shaded overlaping area leaving nothing to question as to how exactly to put the pieces together.
This pattern did prove to be more difficult for me. Many of the more experienced participants in the sew along used words like quick and easy to describe this pattern. I did have issues with assembly but overall was pleased with the results.
Em picked out this fabric last time we were at Finch. It was the end of the bolt so I took what was left which I think was about a yard and 12 or 13 inches. There was just enough fabric to attempt to pattern match the bodice and cut out the rest of the pattern pieces. I do have to say, I think I did a pretty good job matching the bodice.
Because I was using such a busy pattern, I wanted to use something more plain for the pockets, but the plain fabric seemed a bit too plain, so I decided to appliqué two of the characters on the pockets. Add in a little hand embroidery for the eyes and some of the smaller details (no I don’t do embroidery, but that’s what google is for).
To differentiate the pockets from the busy background, I added navy piping around the pockets. I also added the piping between the bodice and skirt since there was no way I was going to have the pattern match.
Overall, I’m thrilled with the results. I’m not sure this will be one of Em’s favorite dresses because it doesn’t have the twirl factor she prefers, but she didn’t shun it when I showed it to her which is huge.
- ModKid London
(Pattern Alterations – piping added to pockets and waistline)
- Charlie Harper Feeding Station for Birch Organic
- Tan Cotton/Linen (for bodice lining and outside of pockets) — from Mom’s stash
- light teal quilting cotton (pocket lining) — from mom’s stash
- Navy piping from Jo-Ann’s
- Navy buttons
- Sew Along Link
- London Sew Along